We have an opportunity for a Southern California based individual to join our Estimating team.
To provide preconstruction and estimating services to clients.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assist the project team in ancillary issues such as life cycle cost assessments and operational pros and cons.
- Assist the project team in design decisions and assist the project design team in development of appropriate systems solutions.
- Assist in coordinating bid efforts, processing RFI’s and interfacing between bidding community and design team members on negotiated projects.
- Assist the Marketing Department in preparation of responses to RFP’s and RFQ’s.
- Represent Client to all subcontractors through management of the estimating process to include solicitation of bids/budget requests, evaluation of responses and reconciliation to budget, value engineering and constructability input.
- Consults with clients, architects, subcontractors and material suppliers to discuss and formulate estimates, reduce costs and resolve potential issues.
- Establish and maintain positive and effective working relationships with all (client, architect, subcontractors, project team, various CWD departments).
- Promote Client “Values” with client, architect and subcontractors. Maintains highest standards of ethics and integrity.
- Ensure that all personnel and company policies are administered in a fair and consistent manner.
- Mentor, coach and train as necessary to ensure that subordinates achieve their career objectives.
- Participate in interview rehearsals and presentations.
- Negotiate with owners and subcontractors.
- Perform detailed quantity surveys and prepare take-offs and estimates of costs of material, labor and equipment needed to fulfill all contract provisions.
- Prepare preliminary schedule for assigned projects.
- Assist in preparing comprehensive bid forms, bid packages, scope sheets and subcontractor comparison sheets. Ensures that subcontractors are prequalified to have the experience and financial capabilities to perform on the project.
- Assist in preparing the scope definition and Inclusion/Exclusion lists for all trades on a project.
- Assist in preparing the Bid Book.
- Provide value engineering assessment of alternative design solutions including initial cost, schedule implications and constructability issues.
- Reviews design documents for information required to get accurate pricing from subcontractors and suppliers.
- Generates value engineering ideas and prepares lifecycle costing.
- Perform project transition duties from Estimating to Operations.
- Assist in the final scoping, award and buyout of all trades on hard-bid and negotiated projects.
- Four-year degree in Construction Management, Engineering, Architecture or equivalent experience in a related field.
- Minimum of 5-10 years of appropriate project estimating experience.
- Proficiency in basic computer skills (MS Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Advanced proficiency in Bluebeam and Onscreen Takeoff applications.
- Knowledge and understanding of construction delivery systems and the construction administration processes.
- Knowledge and understanding of technical aspects of construction including means and methods, materials, building systems, planning and scheduling.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage. Understands the importance of relationship building.
- Demonstrated understanding of lump-sum, GMP and negotiated estimates
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Well developed and proven negotiation skills.
- Effective time management and organization skills.
Performance of the required duties will require physical ability to climb permanent and temporary stairs, passenger use of construction personnel hoists, ability to climb ladders and negotiate work areas under construction. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Performing this job requires use of hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls, sit, talk and hear, stand, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works on-site at the construction work site where the employee is exposed to moving mechanical parts, high precarious places, fumes or airborne particles, outside weather conditions and risk of electrical shock. The noise in these work environments is usually moderate to very loud.
These are considered the core responsibilities of the position. Employees are encouraged to reach beyond their current responsibilities in an effort to foster professional growth, but only as they are able to remain accountable for their core responsibilities.
- Project Management